FREE FGM Training
A recent study revealed that 137,000 women in England and Wales are estimated to be living with the consequences of FGM.
Communities that perform FGM are found in many parts of Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Girls who were born in the UK or are resident here but whose families originate from an FGM practising community are at greater risk of FGM happening to them.
Communities at particular risk of FGM in the UK originate from:
FGM is illegal in the UK. It is an offence to:
• perform FGM (including taking a child abroad for FGM)
• help a girl perform FGM on herself in or outside the UK
• help anyone perform FGM in the UK
• help anyone perform FGM outside the UK on a UK national or resident
• fail to protect a girl for whom you are responsible from FGM
Anyone who performs FGM can face up to 14 years in prison. Anyone found guilty of failing to protect a girl from FGM can face up to seven years in prison.
Further information for professionals can be found here
To address this issue, the Home Office is championing a proactive approach and has launched this free online FGM training package. To find out more click here
To understand what is FGM click here